Posted on July 14 2016
The sun is out, you’re at a BBQ, the host is grilling up some mouthwatering hot dogs, and the air is filled with a smoky goodness that’s making your stomach growl with every passing second. When you think about it, summer's most quintessential food is the hot dog. Baseball games, fairs, and carnivals, BBQs and picnics just wouldn’t be the same without them.
They are easy to make and wickedly satisfying and today just so happens to be national hot dog day, which is quite fitting considering yesterday was national French fry day!
When it comes to celebrating, the best way is to light up the BBQ and grill up some tasty dogs for you and your friends. While the traditional hot dog is always a fan favourite, the Yo Sox team has a California hot dog recipe we’re excited to share that easily puts the traditional dog to shame.
Topped with avocado, arugula and basil crème, one bite and you’ll think you’re on a beach in California.
Ingredients: (Serves Six)
-6 Hot dog buns
-6 Turkey or beef hot dogs
-1/2 Cup baby arugula
-2 tbsp. Fresh Basil
-1/4 Cup cucumber
-1/2 Cup shredded carrots
-1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
-2 tbsp. Rice wine vinegar
-1/2 Cup sour cream
-Salt and pepper for seasoning
1. In a small food processor, blend together basil leaves and olive oil until smooth. Scrape into a separate bowl and blend in the sour cream. Set aside and chill.
2. Turn on your grill to medium-high heat.
3. Toss together arugula, carrots, cucumber, and rice wine vinegar in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. When the grill is hot, place hot dogs on a 45-degree diagonal to make nice grill marks and place hot dog buns on the cooler side of the grill to begin toasting.
5. After hot dogs begin to crisp on each end, flip hot dogs and let cook for another 2-3 minutes.
6. Remove the buns and hot dogs from the grill. Assemble hot dogs and top with sliced avocado, arugula salad topping, and basil sour cream. Then enjoy!
Remember, if for whatever reason you’re unable to get the BBQ going this evening to celebrate national hot dog day you can always join in on the fun by picking up a pair of our awesome Yo Sox hot dog socks! Our men's crew socks are available both online and in store and they are a must have sock for all foodie and sock lovers.